Many parking structures throughout the United States are made of concrete, and for good reason: it’s a durable, inexpensive material that lasts for many years. Over time, however, even the strongest concrete is susceptible to breakage, especially if it isn’t professionally maintained.
Let’s take a look at a few reasons why it’s important to get professional parking garage maintenance, especially with the colder months approaching.
The Importance of Professional Parking Structure Maintenance
Parking garages are exposed, not only to the various elements but too large volumes of cars and trucks going in and out of the structure on a daily basis. Because of this one-two punch of extreme elements (heat, cold, snow, ice) and a continuous traffic flow of heavy structures (cars, trucks), the structural integrity of a parking garage can be compromised over a period of time.
According to the International Concrete Repair Institute, parking garages can suffer from a variety of structural defects, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Wall and column deterioration
- Cracks in beams and joists
- Broken tendons
- Malfunctioning extension joints
Professional parking structure maintenance, however, takes both preventative and proactive measures to ensure that your parking structure remains in good shape for a long period of time.
Some preventative measures that professional parking structure maintenance performs include, but isn’t limited to, the following:
- Waterproofing — this is done to prevent water from snow, ice, and/or rain from permeating the concrete and corroding the rebar.
- Deck coatings — parking structures that have decks will benefit from protective coatings that will limit its exposure to the elements.
- Traffic coatings — these will prevent the parking structure from being damaged by ‘road salt,’ often placed to prevent icing of the roads.
But professional parking structure maintenance also performs routine maintenance on the structure, which includes, but isn’t limited to, the following:
- Wall and column repairs, either with epoxy or “shotcrete.”
- Fixing of malfunctioning expansion joints.
- Post tension repairs to restore structural integrity.
- Deck repairs, for when the cast surface of the deck concrete is compromised.
Having this maintenance and prevention professionally done will circumvent the need for extensive, and expensive, repairs in the future from failure to perform proper maintenance.
At P.S.I. Pressure Washing & Exterior Cleaning LLC, our goal is to consistently deliver only the very best pressure washing, exterior cleaning, and restoration service and workmanship. We are a licensed and insured New Jersey-based company that has been serving the community for more than 30 years. Contact us today for more information on how our professional parking garage maintenance can work for you.